Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Worry About Tomorrow

~~~ 2Chronicles 24: 17-25 ~~~ Psalm 89 ~~~ Matthew 6: 24-34 ~~~

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink,
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?

It never ceases to amaze me at how the daily scriptures can fit so perfectly with what is happening in my life. Does the Holy Spirit really care enough about me to plant a message inside these universal verses?

Well this is exactly how I feel today. My life is so filled with worry
about the future that it is churning up my very gut.
Worry impairs your thought prosesses. Worry distracts you. Worry diverts your attention. Worry is like a program running in the background of your computer. You may not even realize that it is running except that your other programs are slower.
That is how I feel...'my other programs' are slower. Perhaps that would explain why just this week I had my first ever automobile accident that was my fault. I did not think I was distracted but, I have been driving for a long time.

Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?

Of course intellectually I know that worry serves no purpose. Worry cannot improve your quality of life; of that I am certain. So why do I worry? I tell myself God has a plan here and this plan is for good...somehow. I just really do not see it and maybe I do not even want to see it.
I keep this mantra from Julian of Norwich in my heart...'All will be well'.
But I am not sure I really believe it. It might just be more of the bable in my heart.

I am not anxious about clothes or food. I am anxious about...well relationship things and living arrangements. I lives are filled with many different chapters. As we get older the book of our lives is pretty thick with pages of past experiences.
Right now I know another chapter is about to be added, but the title keeps changing.
Most of the possible titles I am not happy with, by the way. 

I know God will provide but I feel as if I am walking in the dark.

"...will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?"

Ouch! That stings a bit. Maybe the truth is I am a woman of little faith.
Maybe my faith is not what it should be. Maybe God is trying to teach me
once again to let him lead my life.
Well it would be a lot easier if he were here in the flesh, but he is not.

How ironic that next week I will be on a retreat with the theme...
"Daughter, your faith has saved you." Mark 5:34


Lord, help my unbelief as I walk in this valley of darkness. Help me to accept whatever you are leading us into. Give me the strength to keep walking forward on this unknown path...which I would not have chosen.
"...Do not worry about tomorrow;
tomorrow will take care of itself..."

The closing verse of today's gospel.
Are you sure these verses are not written just for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment