Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Friday, June 8, 2012

All Occasion Scriptures

~~~ 2 Tim. 3: 10-17 ~~~ Psalm 119 ~~~ Mark 12: 35-37 ~~~

Do you ever try to put yourself into a particular scripture passage?
Do you ever feel like a reading at Mass is talking just to you?
Do you ever turn to scripture for consolation or guidance?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you have heard St. Paul's message to Timothy. "...all Scripture is inspired by God...and is useful for teaching...".

The inspired words of scripture inherently hold something for everyone. These holy words include clues for how to handle every situation in life.
Every joy and sorrow known to humans is addressed in the words of the Bible.

As you have already guessed, I love scripture. I pray for these words to become second nature. I pray that I will be able to speak the appropriate words in any situation I am facing. I believe there is a place in scripture that can be a source of strength for anything that happens in my life...both in times of joy or sorrow.

For if we believe that God knows all things then it would logically follow that he would be mindful of all of our needs. Not only mindful of all of our needs but understanding enough to show us through the Bible this knowledge.

As a cradle Catholic I feel like I am having to play catch up with learning scripture.
I want to be able to wear scripture like a diver's wet suit; snug as my own skin.

Imagine if you could glance at you ring finger and see the appropriate scriptures for a happy marriage. What if written on the sole of your foot was the scripture guiding your footsteps for that day? What if your lips were inscribed with the words of praise and kindness you needed that day? What if on the palm of your hand was the reminder that you were to care for the poor? What if upon your chest was the psalm desiring a clean heart or a forgiving heart or a loving heart?

Here are a few verses that I have come to cherish in recent years:

For I know the plans I have for you...Jeremiah 29:11

Cast your cares on Him, because he cares for you...1 Peter 5:7

I can do all things in Him who strengthens me...Phil. 4:13

Pray without ceasing...1 Thes. 5:17

I have called you by your name...Is. 45:4

Walk while you have the light,
so that darkness may not overcome you...John 12:35


Let the words of scripture be your 'life insurance' plan.
They are there when ever you need them;
They are the living source of your spiritual life...
your relationship with your God.
He speaks to you through his holy words.
Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment