Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, July 19, 2012

What Do You Yearn For?

~~~ Isaiah 26: 7-9, 12, 16-19 ~~~ Psalm 102 ~~~ Matthew 11: 28-30 ~~~


"...My soul yearns for you in the night,
yes, my spirit within me keeps vigil for you...
it is you who have accomplished all we have done..."

The excerpts from the prophet Isaiah are saturated with love
and humility for the Lord.
When was the last time you can say you honestly 'yearned' for anything?

Here is how yearn is defined.
1. To have a strong, often melancholy desire.
2. To feel deep pity, sympathy, or tenderness.
It does seem that we are more inclined to have more noticeable yearnings
under the cover of darkness.
When nightfall comes the busyness of the day subsides.
We no longer have the daytime distractions that mask our yearning hearts.

The darkness and quiet of the night deprives us of a full sensory experience.
Darkness brings a particular kind of blindness. A temporary blindness.
A blindness we can terminate with a flip of a switch.
Just maybe it is easier to yearn for God because of this temporary
sensory deprivation.

When you physically cannot see you have the chance
 to join with the spirit that resides within.

When you take the time to go inside and inventory your life
you may discover an obvious truth.
All and anything that you have or will accomplish in your life
 is because of God.

In the darkness of night you are able to see who really
deserves the credit in your life...God of course.

Jesus said:
"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Jesus always has an open door policy.
When he invites us to come to him he is sincere.
He has no ulterior motive.
He will never use the high pressure approach.
He will never use the 'bait and switch' tactics.

Do you yearn for meekness and humility of heart?
Do you yearn for peace of heart?
Maybe you just yearn for the 'good ole days'.
Ideally you yearn for something that raises your spirit to a higher level.


By design we are searching and yes yearning for something
more in our lives. We are making selections for our life
based on what is missing...
or at least what we percieve to be absent from our life.

Jesus invites us to come and rest with him.
As St. Peter says, "Cast your cares on him, because he cares for you."

When the darkness of night falls around you, accept his invitation...
"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.

If we have everything what is there left to yearn?
Yearning resides within the voids.

"...for you my body yearns; for you my soul thirsts...
So I look to you in the sanctuary
to see your power and glory.
For your love is better than life
my lips offer you worship."
Psalm 63: 2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment