Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Surround Yourself with Believers

~~~ Amos 7: 10-17 ~~~ Psalm 19 ~~~ Matthew 9: 1-8 ~~~~

"I was no prophet,
nor have I belonged to a company of prophets;
I was a shepherd and a dresser of sycamores.
The LORD took me from following the flock, and said to me,
'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.'
Now hear the word of the LORD!"
When you hear the word of the Lord you have responsibility to share it with others.
God does not give us his word for us to tuck it away for safe keeping. Instead he wants us to live like we have received his word. Once we have heard we are raised to a level which requires more requires more responsibility. We can no longer claim ignorance once we recognize and accept to words of the Lord.
Amos certainly did not feel worthy for the Lord to choose him, for he was a shepherd. When Jesus calls us he takes us into a new dimension of purpose.
We cannot be content to live our life isolated from others.
Have you ever thought; you could be the only person God will send to another person with his message? We do have a resourceful God.
After all created us from handful of dirt.
Amos heard and acted.

Have you noticed the word 'FAITH' appearing often in the readings lately?
Or is that I am just more aware of this word right now? I just completed spending roughly eight months focused on the gift of faith for a women's retreat that just took place recently.

In today's gospel we have another incidently healing where Jesus acknowledges faith.
"...Jesus saw their faith..."

If we surround ourselves with those who have great faith we can be blessed through their actions motivated by their great faith. I am sure I will always be able to find friends who have a deeper faith than I do...and I give thanks for those special people. I rejoice that God sends them to me especially in times of trials and darkness.
I pray that Jesus sees my faith even when I do not think it is strong enough.

"Why do you harbor evil thoughts?"

For as long as I can remember my mother has always been anxious when she experiences a period of calm and joy in her life. She will say things like I do not want to be too excited because something bad might be coming soon.
I think that unless you are a fanatical optimist we have this tendency to focus more on the negative. The negative things just seem to bubble up to the surface.
I try as I may to keep some sort of balance between the two threads of thought.
When I notice myself being overly negative I try to focus, at least for a moment, on the positive in my life. This is a challenge at times.
Maybe my mother never feels worthy of having joy in her life for whatever reason.
We can easily justify bad things happening in our life.
We often find ways to somehow blame ourselves...right or wrong.
You know the 'shoulda', 'coulda', 'woulda' thinking!

Whe God works wonders in our life...when it is obvious that he is present we should freely embrace this time. We should allow ourselves the grace to be
"...struck with awe and glorify God..."

For he is truly the giver of all that is good in our lives.
He alone gifts us with joy and strong faith.

When you find yourself 'harboring evil thoughts' flip the switch
as quickly as you are able to, giving him praise and thanks...
I used to hear 'fake it until you make it'
It takes courage to 'rise and walk'...
but when surrounded with friends who believe it is possible.


Jesus reaches out his hand to you; grab hold and you can
make your way once again.
Walk with the Lord, he will not abandon you.

In appreciation for you who have given me a glimpse of your faith;
 you have inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment