Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Under the Fig Tree

Have you ever been surprised by being singled out in a crowd of people? I have.

Several years ago I was attending a local conference where Thomas Keating was a speaker. I have been very fond of his writings for some time. He reminds me of how God the Father might appear. If I had to create an earthly image of him. His demeanor is that of a loving, caring father. We would all cherish such an endearing father figure. He is a Catholic monk.

While in the lobby during a break I noticed a group of people gathered around him, just I have imagined Jesus had people gathered around him. I walked up to join the group and something quite astonishing happened. It was so unusual that I am sure I will never forget it. He immediately turned toward me and said, "I don't think I have met you yet." He reached out his hand as I introduced my self to him. He was so totally present; not just to the group, but to me personally.

I was reminded of this story while reading today's gospel from John 1: 43-51. The scene is Jesus decides to go to Galilee where he recruits Philip. Philip is so excited that he runs to invite Nathaniel to join them too. Today Philip would post on Facebook or send a Twitter announcement.
Nathaniel was reluctant at first saying, "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" But Philip being a diligent friend says look just "Come and see". Philip was saying in effect humor me and if this is not for you fine; you can go your own way.

But what happens next to Nathaniel totally takes him by surprise. Jesus addresses him as if he already knows him well. "Here is a true child of Israel. There is no duplicity in him." Imagine how Nathaniel must have felt. He did not know Jesus and yet Jesus greets him with conviction about who he is...an honest child of Israel. In Nathaniel there is no deceptiveness. Jesus saw right into the very soul of Nathaniel.

Jesus had seen Nathaniel under the fig tree...maybe in the shadows...maybe half behind the trunk. Perhaps he was curious, but did not want to get too close or mingle with the crowd.

Perhaps Jesus had already chosen Nathaniel at first sight; knowing how clean was his heart. We do not know. Jesus shares in just a few words an amazing revelation..."You will see greater  things than this."
I can only imagine how stunned Nathaniel must have been. A holy day dawned on Nathaniel under the fig tree that day. He was forever a changed man.
Thomas Keating will hold a dear place in my heart for a long time as a reminder of how Jesus sees others.


I chose the original image of a modern jazz dance because Nathaniel's life will never be the same. He became a new man that day Under the Fig Tree.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment