Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blinded by the Light

Well as the saying goes...the best laid plans of mice and men...or something along those lines. Just got our power restored after hours without. Yeah!
Acts of the Apostles 22:3-16

Sometimes God does something extraordinary ot get your attention as in the case of St. Paul who's feast we celebrate today. I have always been able to get a picture in my mind of what this event must have been like. It is described so visually well. Paul going about his business of persecuting Christians is riding his horse feeling all pompous about himself. When "bam" out of nowhere he finds himself sprawled on the ground. The space around him is filled with a blinding light, so now he cannot see, followed by a faceless voice. This is a story we can visualize. Funny isn't it? Paul is blinded and we can see clearly.

Today if someone claims to hear voices our medical professionals prescribe drugs, but not in Paul's time. The voice of Jesus is heard by Paul...'Why are you persecuting me?'

Paul has to be shocked in order for God to get his attention. Hmmmm.

Paul has to be knocked down to the ground in order for him to hear the voice of God. Hmmmm.

Paul has to be blinded by light in order for God to lead him out of his darkness. Hmmmm.

Paul has to be led by another to have his sight restored. Hmmmm.

And finally Paul is baptized by water for the forgiveness of his sins. Hmmm.

Any messages here for us? I think so.

We often go about our daily lives as if we are in bumper cars. That is only responding when we are 'bumped' by another person or event in our life. We may not actively be persecuting others as Paul was, but we too need God to get our attention once in a while. It even happens to me occasionally when I am attending Mass. One idea or concept in the readings will 'ping' me right between the eyes.

People can be brought into the light out of their darkness through the support of their family and community. Our faithfulness to the promises of Christ can be the catalyst needed for helping others emerge from their darkness. We need one another.

When you are knocked down to the ground you have two choices; stay there and focus on the ground around you or look up and focus on how to get back on your feet.

Whenever I staff a retreat I pray that I will be open to how the Holy Spirit will use me.

I invite you to sit with the events of Paul's conversion and see how they connect with your life.
Answering the questions of when, where, how, why, and how.

I must close as my power fluctuates again threatening to shut me down.



The original picture: a cut crystal bottle.
I chose this photo because crystal captures and reflects light in a magnificant way.
This kaleidoscope image reflects the many facets of light surrounding us everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment