Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Benefit of Nothing

~~~ Proverbs 30:5-9 ~~~ Psalm 119 ~~~ Luke 9:1-6 ~~~

Take nothing for the journey,
neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money,
and let no one take a second tunic.

These last twenty-four months I have been traveling nearly every week.
At first I was packing a suitcase, a carry on bag, and my purse.
I pack a couple bottles of water.
Often I would pack a lunch to eat along the way.
After my suitcase was stolen from the bus I had to rethink
what I really needed to carry with me.
Now I only carry one small backpack, water,
and peanut butter crackers.
Take nothing for the journey...
I had to learn that the hard way...
by having the things I valued disappear.


I do not carry a walking stick but I do faithfully carry my umbrella.
Sometimes I need it for cover from the rain, but sometimes
 it is the only shade near by.
I no longer carry a suitcase full of clothes.

It is hard to imagine the disciples leaving for their journey with nothing.
Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.

They had no need for anything except the words
 they had absorbed from Jesus.
The men were commissioned to make a journey...
to take action on his behalf.
Jesus did not say watch me. He did not say to follow him
simply just for the action of walking beside him.
Jesus expected his little chosen band of men
to do something with their calling.

He sends them out with nothing but the knowledge
and faith that they were ready to tell others
what they had come to believe.
He is calling us to do the same...go out and tell the good news.
We have the responsibility to acquire as much
knowledge as possible about our God.
Reading the Bible, contemplating on his words,
receiving the Sacraments
these are some of the ways we can
better prepare ourselves for his calling.

...shake the dust from your feet in testimony...

Do not be discouraged thinking that you do not have
enough knowledge or that you will say the wrong thing.
Do not let any rejection penetrate into your mind, heart, or soul.

The journey is about continuing to move forward.
The journey is not ever about giving up.
Rejection gives us the opportunity to start afresh.

The journey for Jesus has no hidden agendas.
The journey for Jesus has no need for
outside support, such as a walking stick.
The journey we are on for and with Jesus is pure and simple...
take nothing for the journey.

Blessed with each step we take on the path he illuminates.
There is no benefit in even carrying forth
 the dust on our tired worn feet.
~~~Peace~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment