Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Selective Hearing: Do You Hear His Voice?

~~~ Jeremiah 7: 23-28 ~~~ Psalm 95 ~~~ Luke 11: 14-23 ~~~

"If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts."

"Listen to my voice...
walk in all the ways that I command you...
listen to the voice of the Lord..."

"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters."
(Luke 11:23)
If you are constantly doing all of the talking you cannot be listening. You may be able to hear if you are talking, but you are not listening. Hearing and listening are not the same, the former requires your attention. 
The same letters are used to spell listen and silent.
Did you ever notice that before?

I find the story of young Samuel disturbing, because he heard the voice but was not able to recognize it as that of God. What if you hear but are confused by what you hear? How do you determine the voice of God?

"Listen, my children." (cf. Proverbs 7:24)

Have you ever gotten a phone call and as soon as you heard the voice you knew it was your friend or someone else you know well? Each person's voice has unique qualities. Your voice is like your speech print.

I believe there was something most unique about the quality of the voice of Jesus. I believe that when you heard his voice you would leave your nets and walk away from your monotonous life. Jesus walked along the seaside and said, 'Come, follow me' and men did just that.

Sheep learn to recognize their owners voice and will come when called. What happens if you hear the voice, know it is God, and do not respond? God will not wrestle with you, he will wait until you can hear his voice. When the time is right you will be able to really listen. It is only when you can listen that you can respond accordingly. Spending time in silence creates an environment
more conducive to being able to listen.

The words of God cannot take root in a hardened heart. If you have decided you are not going to listen for God, because it is a waste of your time most likely
you will be right....you will not hear him.

I do wish I could have heard his voice. I wonder what it sounded like? Was it a strong commanding voice? Or was it a loving kind voice?
You tell a lot about a person by just listening to how they speak to others.

 It is interesting that in the gospel Jesus is curing a mute...
this man was not able to speak until the demon was cast out of him.
Jesus uses his voice to restore the man's voice.


The words we speak effect the people who are listening to us. Once words have passed your lips you cannot recall them to return to you.

Sit in silence this week and listen for the voice of the Lord.
Make yourself available to recognize his holy voice; then you will walk 'with him'.
Activate your selective hearing...you know what I mean, think about it for a moment.
I long to hear the sound of your voice, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment