Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Amazing Grace through Amazing Love

~~~ Chron. 36:14-16,19-23 ~~~ Psalm 137 ~~~ Eph. 2: 4-10 ~~~ John 3:14-21 ~~~

"...by grace you have been saved through faith...it is the gift from God..."
"For God so loved the world..."
"...light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light..."
"...whoever lives the truth comes to the light..."

There is a saying I've heard,
'The will of God will never take you where the grace of God cannot keep you.'

If God has gifted us with faith and grace we should be capable of reaching the light. Why does that logic not consistently work? Or is it that too many people have not accepted the gifts of God?

I think it just might be possible to refuse the gift of faith. If you willingly close your mind refusing to acknowledge God's presence in your life; isn't that equivalent to refusing God?

If you are preoccupied with things of the darkness...hanging out in the shadows; will you even know when God is there? Have you ever been inside a darkened room and then walked outside into the bright sunlight? The first thing that happens is you want to close your eyes. The brightness of the sunlight is too much to take at once.
You need to allow your eyes some adjustment time.

If someone has been living in the darkness of sin it may take some extra time to comfortably approach the light. It may begin with curiosity. It may take the loving compassion of a friend. The amazing thing is that through the Grace of God it is possible to turn away from darkness and walk toward the light.  Encountering the grace of God may cause some moments of anxiety...some soul searching questions, but it is real.

This is where we, you and I, can become facilitators of God's light. We can represent this light to others because of the grace of God. We can support those searching for the way out of the darkness by embracing the gift of our faith.

God could not have given us any more than he did...he gave us his only Son. There is no way we should question God's love for us. It is with this knowledge of God's love that we have the courage to live in truth. It is with this knowledge that we turn to him for all of our needs.

Today I am reminded of the time tested lyrics from 
Amazing Grace
John Newton (1725-1807)
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.


When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.


Through the gift of grace we can live in the light of Christ.
Through the gift of grace we can be the light of Christ to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment