Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Days of Our Lives

~~~ Esther C: 12, 1-16, 23-25 ~~~ Psalm 138 ~~~ Matt. 7: 7-12 ~~~

Today's readings are very explicit in their combined message. First we hear from the book of Esther, which is rarely used in the Mass.
This short excerpt from Esther speaks volumes about how we are to approach prayer. She is a queen and yet she removes her royal clothing, her crown, and her jewels. She summons her handmaids to besiege God with her prayers. She realizes that in spite of all the worldly, earthly riches and wealth she has acquired;
 she is ultimately dependent on God.

"Help me, who am alone and have no help but you,
for I am taking my life in my hand."

She and her attendants prostrate themselves face down on the ground from 'morning until evening.' In this position she allows herself to become totally vulnerable to outside forces. She cannot see anything but the ground before her.

Part of her prayer is asking for wisdom, 'Put in my mouth persuasive words...', she prays. She has come to accept that she can only rely on God to help her. She has read the sacred texts, she knows the stories, she acknowledges who she is turning to for intercession.

When we turn to God in prayer we must come in our stripped vulnerable state. There is no reason to try and pretend with God that you are someone other than who you are in your most weakened state. God does not need to hear your excuses for this or that. He wants you to turn to him in ultimate surrender...prostrated before him...in total dependence on him.

God wants us to sing with the psalmist, '...I called for help, you answered me.' He alone can save us. He alone can answer our prayers.

This message of God answering our prayers is further emphasized in Matthew's gospel through the often quoted words of Jesus.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

Jesus felt so strongly about this message getting through to us that he states it once simply and in the next sentence he elaborates on its meaning. God wants us to trust him completely with the days of our lives.

The gospel test ends with the greatest commandment of all,

" Do to others, whatever you would have them do to you."

I must ask myself, "If I want God to answer my prayers. What is my responsibility in this relationship? Is it only that I lay prostrate and surrender my all to him or is there something more? If I am honest with myself I must accept that there is more. The more is contained in how I treat others. The good ole Golden Rule will always keep you grounded before God.   


God always answers prayers; just not always in the way we had expected.
Sometimes the answer is disguised camoflaged hidden from our sight,
but always there is a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment