Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Who do You See in the Mirror?

James 1: 19-27 ~~~ Mark 8: 22-26
The message from James is direct and to the point. He is not beating around the bush. I think perhaps I should print these verses and post them where I can see them often. Maybe they should even be on the mirror. Here is what he writes:
"...everyone should be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger for anger does not accomplish the righteousness of God."
"...humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you and is able to save souls."
"Be doers of the word and not hears only, deluding yourselves...if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his own face in the mirror."
"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, his religion is vain."
With Ash Wednesday only a week a way we have more than enough here to get us on the right track for Lent. Let's begin with the topic of anger. I am guilty, right now I am struggling with anger at the CEO of my husband's company. I am angry that one person can make a decision that turns so many lives upside down. I admit I have been pretty verbal about my feelings of disagreement.

I am trying to dilute this ugly emotion, because I know it will serve no purpose and certainly not accomplish anything good in my heart. What you harbor inside eventually comes out. I do not want anger to seep through my pours and taint other relationships. I do not want to look into the mirror and see the horns of anger growing out the top of my head.

James goes on to remind us of the word planted in the heart. I think he is saying if you truly have the word inside then you will not want to entertain anger because it will not serve you well.
If you hear the word and do not act then what difference does it make that you heard it all? This message is for all those people leaving the church parking lot and cutting people off. This message is for those who hear the words and go out and ignore their neighbor.

When you are looking at yourself in the mirror you see all the tiny scar, blemish, eyes, teeth etc. but when you move from the mirror you forget what you saw. Literally 'out of sight out of mind'. when we are listening to the word we have a tendency to be more reflective and honest about our short comings, but when we leave the church and the word is not before it is easier to ignore what you heard.

If you let the word precipitate your actions, James says, 'one shall be blessed in what he does'. In other words Live like you Believe.

In the gospel Jesus is healing another blind person. We have the beautiful image of Jesus taking 'the blind man by the hand' and leading him outside the village. If we ever wonder how we should treat others we only need notice the care and compassion with which Jesus interacted with others.

When you are blind you do not have the ability to look into a mirror and criticize your appearance. I have witnessed that when you are deprived of one of your senses the others become more acute. If you are blind it could be your sense of hearing or touch that is strengthened. I think this blind man was most sensitive to touch.

Jesus took him by the hand, giving him a sense of security, as he led him away from the other people. The man felt the moisture upon his eyes from the spittle of the divine physician. The man then felt hands laid upon his eyes...the hands of Jesus. Because of this blindness he had no anticipation of what Jesus was about to do. He could only answer the question, "Do you see anything?"

One more brief point...Jesus teaches us through his very actions to persevere. This blind mas was not cured immediately by the touch of Jesus' hands. The man did not say, Oh well I guess I will not be healed today. No, he remained still and waited on the Lord to heal.

I want to be able to look into the mirror and see the face of a woman who hears the word bringing it to life through my 'doing'.


A few years ago I took this picture of the mosaic framed mirror in what once was the Mary courtyard.
I captured this kaleidoscope image because of the defining edge of black...darkness. When I have anger in my heart it creates darkness. This blindness prevents me from seeing the surrounding brilliance of the presence of God in my life.

When you look into the mirror today promise yourself to be faithful doers of the word.
The greatest of these is love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment