Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Saturday, February 4, 2012

An Understanding Heart

~1 Kings 3: 4-13 ~~~~ Mark 6:30-34 ~

 I am so excited about the readings for today. It is unfortunate that most people since it is Saturday will not read them. In fact if I were not doing these daily reflections I would have missed these two passages myself.

In the Book of Kings Solomon went away to Gibeon to offer sacrifice because it was the most renowned high place. He was in effect away on retreat. During the night the Lord appears to him in a dream. The Lord is fond of speaking to people in dreams. I have had touching dreams, but nothing like the one Solomon experiences. Because God is pleased with Solomon he says, "Ask something of me and I will give it to you."
Can you imagine having that dream? What would you ask for from God?
Solomon, in his wisdom simply asked for 'an understanding heart'. Oh my gosh an understanding heart what a selfless request. If we lived in a world where everyone did have an understanding heart things woulf be so different. Sadly that would be a dream fantasy world. I think I should pray for a more understanding heart. If I had a more understanding heart at least I could make a tiny difference to those around me. God was undoubtedly impressed by Solomon's response and does give him the gift of profound Wisdom. A heart so wise and understanding that no one has ever compared. God is lavish with his gift of understanding.

Understanding and Wisdom are both gifts of the Holy Spirit that we receive at Confirmation. Solomon was confirmed in his dream while on 'retreat'. There is value in getting away by yourself on a regular basis. Which brings me to Mark's gospel.

The apostles were tired they had been traveling all over the countryside with Jesus. Everywhere they went they were more and more amazed by the things Jesus was doing and saying. Adrenaline was surging through their bodies and they needed to take a break. I am sure you can identify. Sometimes life can get extremely hectic and you just need to get away.
I remember an old Calgon bath comercial where a woman relaxing in the bath tub would say, 'Calgon, take me away'. Of course she was still in her bath tub!

Jesus in his infinite wisdom and with an understanding heart said to the Apostles,
"Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest awhile."
When will you take rest in a quiet place? Set aside time for yourself in the near future to rest awhile.


I chose this original image of the pages of a book rising into the air because it reminded me of how in our dreams things can be so distorted.
This kaleidoscope image reminds me of the need to set aside time away from the day to day tasks to listen for the words of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment