Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Summed Up in Five Words

~~~ Isaiah 55: 10-11 ~~~ Psalm 34 ~~~ Matt. 6: 7-15 ~~~

Praise...Submit...Trust...Forgive...Salvation

The temptation to day would be to hear the gospel of Matthew, but not to really listen. Since it is Jesus teaching us how to pray through the Lord's Prayer i.e. the Our Father, we might just find it easier to go on auto pilot. We do that so often we when we hear something very familiar; the words become rote rambling. We arrive at the Amen and only then do we regain consciousness. I think when it comes to the Our Father in particular that is a real danger.

We recite this prayer at every Mass we attend. We recite this prayer several times with each Rosary we pray. We may even recite it when gathered with others for meetings. But reciting it and praying the Our Father are not one in the same. Praying the Our Father requires attention to the words used in each phrase. Some of what is included in the Our Father we might not even feel like believing much less praying.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name, they kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
I encounter anxiety and conflict as soon as I get to...'thy will be done'. Truth be told sometimes I resist his will. Sometimes I get frustrated because I cannot see his will. Sometimes his will does not seem congruent with what I want. So this is where I need to stop and spend some time reflecting on God's will in my life. We are not always ready or willing to accept his will for us. It takes a life long commitment to living God's will. Sometimes I just want to act like a spoiled brat and say, 'No, that is most definitely not what I want to do. '...thy will be done...'

The next road block, and I mean road block complete with barricades and law enforcement, is the whole forgiving trespasses section. I heard a preacher on the radio recently that said, '...if you are having trouble in your marriage, Forgiveness...if you are having issues in the work place, Forgiveness...if you are experiencing problems in your church community, Forgiveness...' I think the hit the nail on the head.

In the Our Father Jesus is saying, 'Do you want me to forgive you the manner in which you forgive others?' I think we would all respond with a resounding 'NO'. We want to be forgiven more passionately than we want to forgive. For some reason we like to hold on to the bad feelings against those who have wronged us. But clearly that is not God's way. His way is always mercy and forgiveness. Next time you 'pray' this prayer ask for the grace to forgive as  God forgives. And the next time you want to go for someones jugular vein remember this prayer.

Those are the two most challenging parts of this beautiful prayer for me. I would like to offer you this prayer summed up in five words.


 Praise...Submit...Trust...Forgive...Salvation

In you prayer time this Lent I invite you to focus on Praising God, Submitting to his will when it is most difficult, Trusting that he will take care of your needs, Forgiving in all situations no matter what, and thanking Jesus for his precious gift of Salvation.


This original picture is the head only of Jesus hanging on the cross.

Spend time today really 'praying' the Our Father as it was meant to be prayed...
in praise, submission, trust, forgiveness, and through the grace of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment