Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Esther's Humble Prayer

~~~ Esther c:12, 14-16, 23-25 ~~~ Psalm 138 ~~~ Matthew 7:7-12 ~~~

Queen Esther did not hesitate in her anguish to lay face down on the ground.
As a ruler, it would be more likely for her subjects 
to assume this position before her.

In this posture of submission Esther voices her prayer.
She sheds all that marks her as queen...
her royal robes, her precious perfumes...

"My Lord, you alone are our King. Help me, 
who am alone and have no help but you, 
for I am taking my life in my hand..." 

Esther knows in her heart
 that even though she and her people have gone astray
 God in his goodness will hear her plea to be spared.
She does not know that years later Jesus will encourage
 all of us to speak our needs directly to him.


Esther's prayer continues...
Be mindful of us, Lord. 
Make yourself known in the time of our distress
 and give me courage...
Save us by your power, and help me, 
who am alone and have no one but you, Lord. 
You know all things.

Some form of these words 
have been in my heart on several occasions.
I have longed for God to make himself known 
to me, especially in times of darkness.
Esther does not despair; she places her trust in God.
God does give her the courage to go before the King, 
even though, poetically, she faints standing in his presence.

Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
The psalm refrain sums up the prayer of Esther.
If we come to God in prayer asking for what we feel
 in our heart he will answer us.

The posture of Esther's prayer, while not necessary,
may have confirmed for herself the sincerity of her plea.
God, of course, does not need us in any specific position to pray.
He promises to answer our prayers no matter how 
or where we pray. What matters most is that we are praying.

Blessed to have a God who wants to listen to our prayers.
Even more blessed that he wants to answer these prayers of ours.
Come before God with your prayers.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment