Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hand Made by God

~~~ 1 Cor 8: 1b-7, 11-13 ~~~ Psalm 139 ~~~ Luke 6: 27-38 ~~~
 
R. (24b) Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
O LORD, you have probed me and you know me;
you know when I sit and when I stand;
you understand my thoughts from afar.
My journeys and my rest you scrutinize,
with all my ways you are familiar.
R. Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
Truly you have formed my inmost being;
you knit me in my mother's womb.
I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made;
wonderful are your works.
R. Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
Probe me, O God, and know my heart;
try me, and know my thoughts;
See if my way is crooked,
and lead me in the way of old.

R. Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
 
Psalm 139 is one of the most beautiful psalms we pray.
It is a psalm through which we praise God for how well he has made us.
When you have created something with your own hands you know it
at a much deeper depth.
 
If you were in the factory working to make your automobile
you would understand more about how the engine is
able to convert gas into power.
You would understand the circuitry involved
in the turn indicators or the power windows.
You would know how the brakes engage to bring your car
to a safe sudden stop.
 
If you are an architect you would have the knowledge
to draw plans that could actually be turned into a viable structure.
You would be rewarded someday by seeing your
creative ideas become a reality.
 
Psalm 139 acknowledges that God, who created you,
knows all there is to know about you.
God knows not only each hair on your head,
but also the intricacies of each cell in your body.
 
God is the idea maker, the designer, the creator of our very existence.
All things created by God are inherently good.
It is only through the hand of God that we were conceived...
knit into our mother's womb.
Take a moment right now to reflect and consider
how perfectly the systems of your body were designed to work in unison.
 
God does not only know our physical bodies he also knows what is in our hearts.
He knows our hopes, our dreams, our needs, our darkness, our fears, and sins.
 
Today the church only gives a few verses from this awe inspiring psalm.
I strongly urge you to pick up your Bible and go to psalm 139.
Read each word slowly giving it time to soak into your consciousness.
For even in sickness and infirmity we are wonderfully made.
 
We cannot escape our loving all knowing Creator.
Before filling our lungs with the breath of life he was already
intimately involved in our being.
 
As we grow and experience what it means to be a living
breathing human being
God continues to be present to our inmost being.
 
 
Although today we do not have verses five and six included
they too are worthy of extra attention.
 
"...Behind and before you encircle me
and rest your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is beyond me,
far too lofty for me to reach..."
 
Can you imagine God encircling you?
What does it look like?
Does he wrap his hands around you?
Does he shroud you in his pure white stole?
 
What an image of Peace this gives me.
An image of how protected I am in spite of all the fears
I may experience.
 
Take the opportunity to join the psalmist...
be in awe at wonderfully you are made.
You were created and given life.
God never leaves his creations he is always there keeping all in order.
For even as you sleep his design keeps your heart beating...
by his design you continue to breath without notice.
 
Go to this whole psalm now and be reminded of your
wondrous Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment