Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Doctor of Grace

~~~ Saint Augustine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church ~~~

~~~ 1 Corinthians 1:1-9 ~~~ Psalm 145 ~~~ Matthew 24:42-51 ~~~

I give thanks to my God always on your account
for the grace of God bestowed on you in Christ Jesus...

If you read this verse carefully you may notice
that Paul gives thanks to God for something specific....
he gives thanks for the grace of God.

There are so many things if life for which we could give thanks.
How many times have you actually given thanks for God's grace?
Have you ever thought to give thanks for the grace
 has given to someone else?
I must admit, while I have given thanks for my friends,
I have not even consider appreciating God for their grace.
God gives his gifts to each person as he sees fit.
It is nice when someone else recognizes his grace at work in you.

Saint Augustine is sometimes called the Doctor of Grace.
Perhaps because he resisted God's grace for many years,
in spite of his mother's incessant prayers.
When Augustine finally relented and stopped resisting God's grace
 he became an unstoppable wealth of spiritual wisdom.
You most likely are familiar with many of his words of wisdom.

In his Confessions and his other writings we see evidence of his grace...

O Lord, our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.

The Bible was composed in such a way that as beginners mature,
 its meaning grows with them.


Faith is to believe what you do not see; 
the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.

God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.

Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved.

If you believe what you like in the gospels, 
and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel 
you believe, but yourself.

Saint Augustine of Hippo was one of the greatest
Doctors of the Catholic church.
He believed singing was the work of a lover.
He here about an experience he had during the singing at Mass.

What emotion I experienced in them! 
Those sounds flowed into my ears, distilling the truth in my heart. 
A feeling of devotion surged within me, and tears streamed 
down my face — tears that did me good.

Saint Augustine, pray for us.
I invite you to spend some time
with one of these quotes from Saint Augustine.
Perhaps he prayed in thanks for not only the grace gave to him,
but maybe he also prayed for the grace that we would be given too.

Blessed with more grace than we could possibly imagine.
~~~Peace~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment