Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Can You Answer the Question?

~~~ James 2:1-9 ~~~ Psalm 34 ~~~ Mark 8:27-33 ~~~

“But who do you say that I am?”
Every year we are given this one small verse of scripture.
Jesus is having a conversation with the disciples as
they are walking along the road.
At first his question is very general and global...
Who do people say that I am?

It is easy for them to answer with what they have heard from others.
As they have traveled around with Jesus and mingled with the people,
they hear what is being said about Jesus.

It is safe for them to repeat this to him because it is not personal.
They are simply reporting to him what they have been told
or what they have heard.

But Jesus presses farther...deeper. He then asks the personal question.

“But who do you say that I am?”

Now they cannot simply parrot back the words of others.
Now they must share their own decision.
Who is Jesus to me?


We must hear that very question many times through out our lives.

Who is Jesus to me?
It is easy to listen to the response of others.
We can read inspiring literature, but we must form our own answer.

Imagine for a moment, Jesus standing before you.
He looks lovingly into your eyes and asks...
________ who am I to you?

Am I your constant companion?
Am I your 'in case of emergency' God?
Am I your disappointing God...
disappointing because I seem not to hear your prayers?

How we answer this personal question should not waiver,
but in truth it may fluctuate like the changing seasons.

Sometimes God may seem far away...distant.
Sometimes it is almost as if his hand is on your shoulder.

It is by the Blessing of Grace
 that we can stay the course and know that God is God.
It is by grace that we can sing
God you are my God...
I will ever praise your name.

Sit with Jesus...allow him to love you...
and you will know in your heart the answer to the question.
“But who do you say that I am?”
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment