Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Path of Pride

~~~ Ez 28:1-10 ~~~ Psalm (Dt 32) ~~~ Matthew 19: 23-30 ~~~

It is tempting at times to fall into the trap of thinking
that we have accomplished the good things in our life.
That through our keen abilities we have
 brought about goodness and success in our life.

Through the prophet Ezekiel the prince of Tyre is being reprimanded
for thinking and acting as if HE were a god.
Giving himself credit, even for his wisdom and intelligence.

He takes pride in the mighty riches he has accumulated for himself...
never once stopping to think for a moment
that he might have had a little help from someone
far greater than himself.

"...Because you have thought yourself
to have the mind of a god,
Therefore I will bring against you
foreigners, the most barbarous of nations...."

Sometimes we see God taking drastic steps to enlighten a person
who has chosen the path paved with the stones of pride.
We become arrogant and intoxicated with the brilliance
of our wonderfulness.
God stands in the middle of this path of pride and stops you in your tracks.

"...you are man, not a god,
handed over to those who will slay you..."

If you do not get it on your own God will tell clearly
inform you of your flawed reasoning.
It is always God who has the final say.
It is always God who calls the shots.
It is always God who judges if the player is safe or out.

If it were not for God where would you really be?
If it not for God's intervention could you be who you are today?
As for me; my answer is a loud "NO".
I try to acknowledge the presence of God actively working in my life...
working through my life...and providing for my life.
It is God who opens the windows when all the doors
seem to be closed.
It is God who leads my decisions.
It is God who walks with me in good times and bad.

If I cannot give God the credit he alone deserves in my life,
then why would I expect him
to be there simply because I call him one day.


Consistency is the key,
 I think.
We cannot take sole credit for something one day
and the next ask God to intercede.
But we have a God that is eager to hear us call on him.
We have a God who is perfect at hearing our call.

The disciples were distraught with Jesus' example
of the camel passing through the eye of a needle.
Camels are large animals.
The disciples were very familiar with camels.
They were very useful on long desert journey's.
Camels can reach over seven feet tall and weigh in
around a thousand pounds;
a rather large animal.

Once again we see Jesus, the master teacher,
use something the disciples knew well
to explain his point concerning something
they knew nothing about.


Seeing how concerned the disciples are Jesus tells them...
"...you who have followed me, in the new age,
when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory..."

Along with others who have been faithful followers of Jesus

"...will inherit eternal life."

This teaching ends here with words we will continue
to ponder for many days to come.

"...But many who are first will be last,
and the last will be first."

Those who foolishly continue down the path of pride,
 boasting at every corner of their accomplishments
may be in for a surprise when they arrive at the banquet.

Lord help me to be ever honest and sincere in giving you the credit
for all things I have accomplished.
Without you, Lord I am nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment