Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Sunday, March 5, 2017

One Bite

First Sunday of Lent
~~~ Genesis 2:7-9; 3:1-7 ~~~ Psalm 51 ~~~ 
~~~ Romans 5:12, 17-19 ~~~ Matthew 4:1-11

One does not live on bread alone,
but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

One bite from the fruit of the tree
 of good and evil
cast us all into the darkness
 of temptation and sin.

One bite of sweetness made us 
feel ashamed of our own beauty.

One juicy bite caused us 
to run and hide from the voice of God. 

One bite...

Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.

Cleanse me Lord.
Before you alone I confess my guilt.
Before you I acknowledge my offenses.

Cast me not from your holy presence.

Give me back a willing spirit to remain steadfast
in loving you with all my heart and soul.


Cleanse my heart with a contrite spirit.

Give me back the joy of knowing you will always love me.

Teach me to embrace the power of your words.
Your words are more than bread alone.

Your words bring healing and forgiveness.
Your words have the power to cleanse
 and heal the broken-hearted.

Your words are more nourishing than one bite 
of the fruit of the tree of good and evil.

I invite you to let this be a Lent
sustained by the reassuring words of the Lord.

For He will send the angels to sustain you.

One bite is nothing compared
 to the living words of God.

Blessings along the journey.
~~~Peace~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment