Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pick Me Up...Hold Me Close

~~~ Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus, 
Virgin and Doctor of the Church ~~~
~~~ Job 9:1-12, 14-16 ~~~ Psalm 88 ~~~ Luke 9:57-62 ~~~

Unless you become like little children you will not
enter into the kingdom of heaven.
The readings today are connected with one implied theme...
the state of being like a child.
A child has no actual knowledge of the many
things their parents do for them.
A child does not know how their favorite
foods appear on their plate.
A child does not know the decisions made
for their safety and protection.
A child does not know just how much
their parents love them.
The above is presupposing all is as it should be
 in the parent child relationship.

Job speaks of God in much the same manner...

Should he come near me, I see him not;
should he pass by, I am not aware of him;
Should he seize me forcibly, who can say him nay?
Who can say to him, “What are you doing?”

Just as a young child would not question her parents;
we should not question God.


The psalmist cries out to the Lord.

Daily I call upon you, O LORD;
to you I stretch out my hands.

To you I stretch out my hands...just like a little child...
Our prayers are the same as a child reaching up to their parent.
Pick me up...hold me close...wrap your arms around me.

Is this not the same sentiment with which we pray to God?
We long for his presence...his touch.

“I will follow you wherever you go.”

Just as the little child follows close to her mother and father.
A child has complete trust in their parents.
Saint Therese used this image as a model
for her spiritual journey.
She saw herself as a little child
dependent upon God the Father.
She believed with her whole heart that God
would take care of her.
She became a Doctor of the Church by living a simple life...
embracing the little way...by being childlike.

Take a moment today;
place yourself in the loving embrace of God.
It is so easy to follow Jesus if your hand is in his hand.
When you are near to the Father he can easily pick you up.

Saint Therese, pray for us...
teach us to cherish your little way.
God is the parent we all wish we had...
the perfect loving parent.
Blessed in our walk together with the Lord.
~~~Peace~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment