Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Friday, October 25, 2013

Flashing Warning Lights

~~~ Romans 7:18-25a ~~~ Psalm 119 ~~~ Luke 12:54-59 ~~~ 
 
It is so frustrating to find yourself doing something
that you clearly do not want to do...such as letting your biases
dictate how your response in certain situations.

Paul has a way of writing from such a human perspective.
He is easy to relate to because he writes about things
that are relevant for us now.
Some may think the Bible is full of old customs and beliefs,
but the truth is along with them is this wonderful
living word...full of meaning no matter when it is read.

I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh.
The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not.
For I do not do the good I want,
but I do the evil I do not want.


When it comes to our bodies there are many
weaknesses and temptations.
God made our bodies to experience pain and pleasure.
We try to avoid pain when possible and experience
the pleasure when possible.
We struggle inside with these two opposite feelings.

It is too bad that we do not have internal flashing yellow lights
 when we are approaching danger.
Not only would it give us a warning sign,
but it would also alert those around us that we needed their assistance.
 

Almost every time I am driving on the highway I see the large signs
letting the public know of a missing elderly or child.
I get notices on my phone of accidents that would impact my route.
We get emergency messages along the bottom of our
television screens for severe weather.
 
 
 
 
Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right? 
 
Apparently we are too physically weak to judge
between good and evil by ourselves. 
It is easy to understand Paul because we all
have the same internal challenges.
Paul gives us the best failsafe we could ever have....

Who will deliver me from this mortal body?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

 
 We can always turn to Jesus for his help to avoid sin,
but sometimes we are too afraid or too ashamed.

Whether we are acting in grace or in sin God is present there too.
When we are arguing inside with ourselves God is present.
When we overcome our daily temptations
no matter how great or small
God is present.
When we fail and succumb to that which
we do not want to do....sin;
God is present inviting us to return to him.

Hide me Lord in the shelter of your wings.
Blessings come in admitting to ourselves
that we need God
every day in every situation.
I am on the lookout for the
'flashing yellow lights'.

No comments:

Post a Comment