Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Monday, October 21, 2013

Do Virtual Things Count?

~~~ Romans 4:20-25 ~~Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel;
he has come to his people.~~ Luke 12:13-21
 
"...this night your life will be demanded of you;
and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’
Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself
but is not rich in what matters to God."
I really admire those people who manage to live simply...
those who keep only what they need.
It is so easy to routinely acquire things; many times
 it is not anything necessary.
There are things I possess that I could live without,
but I hold on to them.
Why? I really cannot tell you.
 
I heard once that women keep three different sizes
of clothes in their closet.
The size they are currently wearing...the size smaller
they used to wear...and the size larger just in case
they gain that weight back.
Oh my gosh, this makes no sense.
 
Now we can accumulate more stuff without leaving
 the comfort and safety of our kitchen table.
We can have things delivered right to our front door the next day.
In some cases there is no need to even take out your credit card;
all is stored on the server of the seller.
 
It is too easy to keep collecting stuff.
Sellers have made it easier and easier to get us
to buy their products.
Honestly, I cannot tell you right now
how many books I have on my Kindle.
They are virtual, no longer visible on my bookshelves.
Same is true with the hundreds of mp3 tracks
I have purchased on my computer.
These things are not taking up any physical space in our house,
but I own them none the less.
 
Today God is giving us a reality check.
Do material possessions count if they do not
take up any physical space?
What if they are not even visible?
 
 
Today God is asking us to consider what is important.
Does it get us any closer to God if we keep
collecting stuff until our homes are overflowing?
 
God is asking us to look at what we have honestly.
If our possessions are strictly that just possessions
 then maybe we should consider parting with them.
Do we have things that we could pass on that we are no longer using?
 
We cannot take anything with us when we die.
No one is going to build us a pyramid to store our belongings.
 
If I have not preserved those things which are precious before God;
what will I have in the end?
If your possessions are choking the life out of your living,
do something about it today.
Collect a single bag of items you truly do not need
and take it to a local charity. 
 
Consider what matters to God.
 
“Take care to guard against all greed,
for though one may be rich,
one’s life does not consist of possessions.”
Contrary to what our culture wants us to believe...
our possessions are not what matters to God.
 
Blessings come in being able to see ourselves
without our material possessions. 
Possessions do not define who we are to God.
 
God is looking for more...
I pray that he finds it in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment