Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Reparation for His Denial

~~Acts of the Apostles 5:27-32, 40b-41~~Psalm 30~~Revelation 5:11-14~~John 21:1-19~~
 
John's account of the third appearance of Jesus to the apostles
gives more information about the conversation Jesus has with Peter.
Peter may have thought that after denying Jesus three times
Jesus would not want to be around him.
Jesus instead comes to Peter and gives him a chance to make amends...
Jesus gives Peter a second chance...an opportunity to make reparation
for his offenses against Jesus.
 
Jesus comes to the beach because he knew they would be need to be fishing.
Jesus had this encounter with Peter in the presence of six
other apostles.
 
How many times do we say, "I would never say ____ or I would never do _____"?
When Jesus revealed to Peter that he would deny him three;
Peter was shocked and believed that Jesus was mistaken.
 
So many times when you believe you would not say or do something
 it is because we are incapable of predicting a situation
that would illicit such a response.
 
Peter's denial of even knowing Jesus happened
because he was not aware of how paralyzing his fear
would be after the arrest of Jesus.
There was no doubt that Peter loved Jesus,
but in this situation his love was not strong enough to sustain him.  
 
 
If Peter was to be the Rock of the church,
 it was important that Jesus have this conversation
 in the presence of some of the apostles.
 
Here is the dissertation...
 
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”
Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.”
He then said to Simon Peter a second time,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.”
Jesus said to him the third time,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was distressed that Jesus had said to him a third time,
“Do you love me?” and he said to him,
“Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.
 
Jesus asks Peter three times to verbally confess his love for Jesus.
Peter denied three times and now professes his great love three times.
 
Each time the question from Jesus to Peter is more intense.
Peter becomes frustrated...but Jesus wants him to be absolutely sure of his love.
Finally Peter admits that Jesus knows everything....
Jesus knew that Peter would deny him before the reality occurred...
Jesus must also know of Peter's great Love for him.
 
The Lord knows what is in your heart...
I pray that I can live up to his expectations for me.
 
Easter Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment