Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Friday, March 29, 2013

The Influence of Fear

 
~~~ Good Friday ~~~
 
~~~Isaiah 52:13-53:12 ~~~ Psalm 31 ~~~ Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:7-9 ~~~ John 18:1-19:42~~~
 
Jesus is betrayed during private prayer in a familiar place...the garden.
A place that represented peace and safety...
a place that he had gone before to escape the crowds seeking him.
 
Judas his betrayer also knew the place,
because Jesus had often met there with his disciples.
 
His closest friend, Peter, is so paralyzed with fear
that he cannot admit even knowing Jesus.
 
Jesus speaks in a manner that confuses the authorities.
They cannot process the meaning of his words.
The guards who seized him in the garden
fell to the ground when Jesus responds to who they were looking for....
 
When he said to them, “I AM, “
they turned away and fell to the ground.
 
 
Only God can say I AM...This was since the time of Moses.
Exodus 3:14
Out of the burning bush God speaks to Moses.
He declares the ground to be holy.
God commissions Moses to lead his people out of exile
assuring him of his nearness.
Moses asks God by what name should he tell the people to call him.
 
God replied to Moses: I am who I am.
 Then he added: This is what you will tell the Israelites:
I AM has sent me to you.
 
The guards were well aware of this reference to God.
No one can claim to be God just by using the I AM words
without grave consequences.
God goes on to tell Moses that this is his name forever.
 
Brought before the authorities Jesus seems to speak to them in riddles.
They become more confused and
with each answer he gives to their questions.
 
My kingdom does not belong to this world...
 
Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.”
Pilate said to him, “What is truth?”
 
Finally Pilate succumbs to the raging crowd and consents to their demands.
Pilate acts out of fear that the people will riot and become uncontrollable.
As the crowd screams louder and louder
"Crucify him, Crucify him."
Pilate finally chooses to give them what they want.
 
...the Jews cried out,
“If you release him, you are not a Friend of Caesar.
 
This seals the fate of both Jesus and Pilate.
My Lord and God
this solemn day causes me to reflect on
who you are;
I AM.
Our Creator God is also our Saving God.
By your cross and resurrection you have redeemed the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment