Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Friday, November 2, 2012

Fireflies of Love

Commeration of All Souls
 
~~~ Wisdom 3:1-9 ~~~ Psalm 23 ~~~ Romans 5: 5-11 ~~~ John 6: 37-40 ~~~
 
As a little child, and honestly still today,
I have been excited when I see firefly.
Several years ago, walking in Central Park, I was surprised to see
them flying among the shadows of the foliage in the late afternoon.
 
Sadly we no longer see them in the suburbs as we did when I was young.
They are a most unique tiny flying insect...we do have an amazing Creator.
 
Just last week a friend told me,
with a twinkle in his eye and a child like smile,
how he had seen fireflies on his property in the country.
 
It may sound silly, but it thrilled me to know that the fireflies
 are flourishing not far away from where I live.
 
All of this about these tiny 'lightning bugs'
come to me each time I hear the Wisdom reading we have today.
 
"...In the time of their visitation they shall shine,
and shall dart about as sparks through stubble..."
 
Just as fireflies dart about the dark sky,
the embers from a fire send rising up tiny glowing particles.
These tiny sparks of fire are even capable of igniting
another source on their own.
What we see as light is really the energy of the fire itself.
 
This thought of rising up from the energy and yet
retaining a portion of the energy is wonderful.
I say wonderful because when a person dies the energy
that we knew as their life seems gone.
It is the energy of their spirit that leaves their earthly body.
They are returning to the Spirit of God that gave them life.
 
When I see fireflies darting around today
 I think of those who have gone before me.
While we may not see their light hear on earth they are
darting about like sparks through stubble.
They have been released from the bodily confines.
They are free to move about unemcunbered by their body.
Their soul lives on in a different way.
They still have energy from the Creator...
God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
 
 
 
I like many of you I suspect see death a transition from this life to the next.
A transition from what we know to what we know not.
A transition for the spirit of our soul from this body
 to state of being as free as a firefly.
 
Free to dart about, eager to praise God.
Free to truly express our love and gratitude
for the life we had on earth.
 
For us the lose of a loved one causes sadness to well up within
our heart, but for the deceased person I suspect it is quite the opposite.
 
Fireflies never cease to fill me with excitement
and joy each time I get to see them.
 
I am also reminded today that just over a year ago
this was one of the readings chosen to be read
for my best friend's funeral Mass.
So for me it will always have a special place in my heart.
The imagery is so alive and powerful.
She is darting about as a tiny spark of God's love now
just as she darted about while here spreading his love to everyone she met.
 
If you have doubts about what happens after a loved one dies
read these verses from the book of Wisdom.
Visualize your loved one rising from the fire as a tiny spark
of energy...light.
God is light and so we return to the source of all light.
 
I also remember my paternal grandmother who was born on this day
more than 100 years ago. May she rest in peace.
I love you Grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment