Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Caught Between Two Worlds

~~~ Philippians 1:18b-26 ~~~ Psalm 42 ~~~ Luke 14:1, 7-11 ~~~
 
My soul is thirsting for the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
 
These two verses from the psalm accurately reflect the sentiments
about which Paul is writing in his letter to the Philippians.
Paul is torn between wanting to die and be joined with God in heaven
and passionately preaching the word of God.
 
The psalmist too is thirsting to experience the living God
in his daily life while
desiring to see the face of God in heaven.
 
I think as believers we have the same challenges in our lives.
We want to spread the word of the Lord.
We want to be used by God to carry the message of his love to others.
We want to know that God is truly alive in our individual lives.
We live the daily goal of our life being a witness for the Lord.
 
All goes well as long as we are not met with those who
would ridicule us for our beliefs.
We are able to keep moving forward as long as we keep
ourselves surrounded by those who already share similar beliefs as we do.
 
But is that how we are to practice our faith?
 
Paul was not always so lucky.
He was on ground breaking quests more often than not.
Perhaps the real challenge comes when we must boldly
speak up for what we believe.
 
I think of those who are missionaries
in particularly hostile environments.
I ask myself,
would I have a strong enough conviction
to stand firm in my faith.
As I sit here today I can only hope
that I would be granted the necessary grace.
 
 
Paul writes with such confidence as seen in his words today...
 
"...Christ will be magnified in my body,
whether by life or by death.
For to me life is Christ, and death is gain."
 
Sounds like the sentiments of those who were martyred
for their unparalleled faith in God.
 
Paul is caught between the two...
living in the flesh and living in the spirit..
the ultimate communion with God.
 
The spirit of the Lord led Paul throughout his life.
This same spirit is working in us today.
This same spirit will lead us as well if we cooperate.
St. Paul cooperated with God as soon as God grabbed hold of him.
Once surrendering to God there was no stopping Paul.
He was extravagant in his preaching and love for the Lord.
 
Are you willing to let God grab hold of you?
Are you willing to be bold and extravagant in the Lord?
 
God will always bring about goodness in your lives...
pass it on...
let others know what he has done for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment