Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Thursday, November 7, 2013

To Whom Do You Belong?

  
~~~ Romans 14:7-12 ~~~ Psalm 27 ~~~ Luke 15:1-10 ~~~
 
...whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s...
 
 It is mind boggling to think about belonging completely to God.
I must ask myself how I act according to that truth.
Or if I my actions ever do reflect my belonging to God.
 
Consider what you claim as belonging to you.
Is it an collection of material items?
Do you consider your family members as belonging to you?
Sometimes I have jokingly said that I belong to my husband...
meaning only that we have a commitment to one another.  
  
 
Truly nothing 'belongs' to us, because
we do not belong here in this earthly world.
God made us in his image and likeness
so that we can be with him in heaven for eternity. 
 
 We are here to do good and spread God's love to others.
Through our Baptism we have been commissioned to live like we belong.
To live like we belong to take our place in heaven.

Some days it is not apparent that I am living like
I believe that I belong to the Lord.
It is not that I ignore this fact,
 it's just that it gets buried in the hustle and bustle of living.
 
I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord
in the land of the living.
 
Psalm twenty seven gives us a wonderful picture of how we belong to the Lord.
He can pick us up and drape us around his neck. 
 If you pick up something in a way you are claiming it as your own.
Like claiming your luggage in the airport.
God claims us his own...he picks us up and carries us.
He claims us as his own...we are never alone or forgotten.

The Lord takes delight in having us across his shoulders.
We are safe, warm, and free from future harm.

We have been marked as belonging to the Lord.
Let the Lord pick you up.
Feel the strength in his arms as he lifts you up.
Experience the closeness and warmth of his body as rest upon his shoulders.
 
If we can be at peace with the vision of Jesus picking us up today;
then we can surely be at peace with being claimed by him in death.

Dear Lord, please give me the desire to belong more fully and completely to you.
Allow me the blessings to surrender to your will in my life.
If I can follow your will, then maybe I can believe that I belong to you...
while living now and forever in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment