Prayer Requests and Gratitudes

Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Burdens of Life

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
~~~ Zechariah 9:9-10 ~~~ Psalm 145 ~~~ 
~~~ Romans 8:9, 11-13 ~~~ Matthew 11:25-30 ~~~


"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves. 
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

There are a few scripture passages
 that most people either know or at least recognize; 
today we hear one of those.

What are your 'heavy burdens'...
are they physical...are they mental...emotional...
or are they spiritual?

We each have some sort of burden.
 Jesus invites us to surrender it to him.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

Are we just too hard headed and stubborn
to let go of our burdens?

Are we afraid that God will let us down?


Sometimes our burdens make us want to crumble
 to the ground in a tangled heap.

God reaches out to us.
He says you are not alone.
He says I am here to help lighten the load.
He says let me be the one who relieves your pain.

...the one who raised Christ from the dead
will give life to your mortal bodies also,
through his Spirit that dwells in you.

It is this very Spirit that comes to give us rest...
this very Spirit that will carry our burdens.

The meek and humble of heart...the little ones;
they know God will be there to carry their burdens.

The little ones admit that they cannot
carry their burdens alone.

If we trust in the Lord 
it is through grace that we can 
surrender our burdens to him.

Come to the Lord.
He will give you rest.

~~~Peace~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment